Building a platform and promoting a bookGuest Post by Jo Linsdell
We all know that having a platform is important. Having a recognised author brand with thousands of blog readers and social media followers is fantastic but it's not enough. You need to make it easy for people to buy your book too.
Even the most famous of authors do 'launches' for their new releases. I'm not saying that working on building your platform is wrong. Far from it. Building a strong author platform is very important. It gives you an audience and establishes you as an expert in your field. You need to put your latest release in front of people though if you want them to buy it.
Ways you can promote your book:
• A virtual book tour. This is where you organise to be hosted on blogs and for social media chats, radio interviews etc... over a set period of time. A virtual book tour can include anything from interviews, guest posts, book spotlights and reviews to Facebook wall chats, live twitter interviews and more.
• Do a give away. Offer a free give away to anyone who buys a copy of your book within a set time frame and promote it via social media. An example could be a short ebook.
• Create a contest. This can be done via Goodreads or social media sites like Facebook. For a chance to win a valuable prize, people need to buy a copy of your book.
• Place ads for targeted promotion. This can be done by using targeted advertising on Facebook or by placing a banner on a website that reaches your target audience.
• Reach out to book clubs. Get your book on the reading list and offer a chance to chat either by visiting the group in person by via Skype.
• Do a book signing. This can be an in person event at a bookstore or other location or online using a site like Author Graph.
What are some of the platform or promotional activities you've done?
Now on to Fairy May.
Fairy May dreams of one day becoming a tooth fairy but she struggles at school and always seems to get things wrong. With hard work and determination she prepares for her test. Will she realise her dream and become a tooth fairy?
Title: Fairy May
Author/Illustrator: Jo Linsdell
Paperback: 32 pages
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing
Release Date: 1st February 2013
You can get your copy of Fiary May today at:
Jo Linsdell is an award winning blogger and freelance writer living in Rome , Italy . She is also the author of several books including the popular Italian for Tourists, A Guide to Weddings in Italy and the best selling children's picture book Out and About at the Zoo. Her latest book Fairy May was released on 1st February 2013. You can find out more about her a:
Author website: http://www.jolinsdell.com
MORE ON BOOK MARKETING
The Author Website – Keep It Simple and to the Point
Online Marketing and Website No-Nos