"Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance,
you have to keep moving."
I love Albert Einstein quotes. He was such a brilliant man.
This particular quote is pertinent to everything in life, including your marketing efforts.
In fact, the marketing arena is ever-changing. What worked yesterday may not work today. What didn't exist yesterday, may very well exist today.
Marketing is what most of us online are bicycling after - striving to keep our balance with.
Think about the last 10 years or so.
Social Media - networks have popped into existence, changing the way we plan and execute our marketing strategies.
Here is a brief list of just some of those networks:
- LinkedIn 2003
- Delicious 2003
- Vimeo 2004
- Digg 2004
- Flickr 2004
- Reddit 2005
- YouTube 2005
- Twitter 2006
- Tumblr 2007
- Pinterest 2010
- Google+ 2011
Next, think about the marketing strategies that have come and gone:
- Writing content that was keyword focused (keyword stuffing)
- Linkbuilding strategies
- The shift from outgoing marketing (push marketing) to inbound marketing (pull marketing)
- The shift from 'it's all about the company' to 'it's all about the buyer'
- The shift to flying with minimal analytics to monitoring every move you make
- The shift from traditional book publishing to self-publishing
- The use of permission-based duplicate content to now having to avoid it
- Having the option to use social media marketing to having to use it
- Panda, Penguin, rankings, YIKES
The list could go on and on and on and . . .
You absolutely have to keep moving, not only to keep your balance, but to keep your head above the murky marketing waters.
Keep on ridin'
LIKE THIS POST? PLEASE SHARE IT!
MORE ON INBOUND MARKETING
Book Marketing – Yesterday and Today
Blog Post Template – The 8 Standard Components (Part 1)
Content Marketing – Shareability, Sharing, and Paying-it-Forward